Wednesday, October 22, 2014

PID on a diet? How to tune your PID

There are two facts about PID that truly amazed me. The first one is the amount of people that use it and the second one is how many rules and utilities are out there to tune them.



In my mind, implemeting a PID is a little bit like going on a diet. Everyone wants to loose weight (or improve performance) and there are lots of different diets (tools, rules of thumb, programs) but there is no "magic diet" that miraculously lets you loose weight without some effort.

I don't have a solution for it; if anyone does feel free to add it in the comments!. What I do have is an Adaptive PID Example. It is not perfect, by any means, but shows the interesting concept of using online system identification to identify the plant and change the PID gains based on it.

My colleague Brian McCleery wrote a whitepaper about it and Dr. Jeannie Falcon demonstrated it




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment